Monday, May 25, 2009

Surface Effort


One day, the "leader" of my group assignment sent email to me and other teammates in order to tell us about the detail of our assignment and the work distribution. Our topic had 5 concepts. Since there were 5 members in our group, so each of us was distributed with one concept. Every group member has to prepare a relative storyboard for the designated concept and bring it on the next discussion meeting. After I read the concept which was given to me, the first thing I did was doing research on my concept through internet in order to fully understand it.

My thought was always complicated for doing an "easy" thing. After I understood my concept, the next action I proceeded was searching the real case or story for this concept. But spending several hours, I failed to find out the thing I wanted. The discussion time was during the class. The duration to the class hour remained around half an hour. My housemate was also one of the group members, he was having a nap on that moment. I did not hope to go late for class, so I went to wake up him to prepare for departure. Since I had not yet come out with a story, therefore I planned to bring my laptop to class for surfing net purpose. I finished washing my face and walked passing through the room of my friend (housemate), I saw that he was sitting on his chair in front of his computer. I knew that his story topic had a great relationship with my topic, because our topics were doing the same thing but using different actions to perform. I walk into his room and explained the term in the concept to him from my research result. After he understood what was the term, he told me to write down a story first before going to the meeting. This speech gave a weird feeling to make me not to care about the lateness. I continued surfing net to get a correct idea on my topic. My stomach suddenly shouted, I asked my friend for lunch. As a result, I got scolded by him that asked me to faster come out with a story so that we could go to class "earlier". We were actually late for a few minutes. I seemed to be very relaxed for everything and totally ignored the time.

Soon after, I still cannot find an idea for the story. My friend said that he had written down his story on a paper and gave me to have a look. The story idea was very simple. It seemingly showed the meaning of the concept without telling the procedure to execute the specific action. I was not sure whether it was correct if doing like that style but for writing a such simple story I could have one also without finding the actual thing. However, we were already late too much to class, it was better for us to get ready to go. There was a simple story in my head. Meanwhile, my friend asked me whether I was ready to leave for campus. I thought that I could write down my story in the class because the discussion was after class, thus I should have no problem to get going on that time. When we got into my car, my friend started "shooting" me. He said that I had done nothing for the assignment and I would be galling if everyone had the storyboard except me during the discussion. I told him that I could do it during the class. He found a chance to "shoot" me again by saying that the email mentioned all group members "must" prepare and bring their own storyboard to the discussion. Since he said like that, I had nothing to say anymore. Before we reached to classroom, my friend gave me an idea about my topic, no matter how I should appreciate him.

During our discussion, the story of every group member was also quite simple. They did not clearly show the actual procedure to do some actions too. I felt that I was very stupid. Why I wanted to make an easy work to be complicated? Since I had understood my concept, actually I could simply think out a story to explain the concept in surface. But I never think about easy thing, so I spent much time to search for the unnecessary thing. In consequence, I could only find out the definition of my concept but failed to come out with a story that was required during the discussion and gave a chance for my friend to blame me that I did not put any effort on the assignment! Damn it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment